CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Weekly Meal Planning

Dinner time used to be planned when we came in the door in the evenings. Not only is this not good for the budget because we were always running to the store for something, but it wasn't good for us because lots of time we were so crunched for time we would go for something unhealthy. With my son's food allergies we have to plan ahead now and it has made a world of difference in how we eat and our pocketbook. Our grocery bill has really increased since his diagnosis anyway from having to buy special foods for him (snacks for home and school mostly; if you haven't noticed just check - soy is in everything!), but by planning our meals out for the week ahead of time and sticking to that list, we have been able to watch our food budget more closely. I thought it might be a good idea to list some of our weekly menus here to offer ideas to others and for me to keep up with what we've had lately and where we can improve. Keep in mind that we have to pack DS's lunch everyday and DD only eats at school a couple of times a month. Also, DH and I take our lunches most every day so a lot of these leftovers will be used for lunches the next day. Here is our menu for this week:

Sunday - Jambalaya, green salad and fruit salad
Monday - Sloppy Joes, sweet potato fries and fruit salad
Tuesday - Potato soup with chicken, homemade bread and fruit salad if any is left over
Wednesday - leftovers night
Thursday - BBQ pork chops in the slow cooker, macaroni and cheese and steamed broccoli and cauliflower
Friday - Hot dogs/chili dogs, pita chips and baked apples
Saturday - leftovers or hamburger casserole (will make if have to; if not will make next Sunday)

My kids are good eaters. Broccoli is one of their favorite foods and they eat leftovers and salad and cauliflower without complaints. I do not cook separate foods for the kids; we eat together as a family and they eat what the rest of the family eats. I tell them I am not a short order cook. :) I do however, take what they like into consideration. I try not to cook things they hate and often get their suggestions into the weekly meals.

3 comments:

  1. Now that hubby is back at work (as he cooked when he was on holidays :) I have to start making a weekly menu as well.
    I really don't care to cook so this helps me.
    We too sit down as a family to eat our meals. I get the girls to pick their favourite meals. That way I dont' even have to think about the menu :)
    I think one of the toughest is to figure out WHAT to make.
    Thanks for sharing yours with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds good to me what time is dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your menus sound yummy and your blog is adorably cute and happy! :o)

    ReplyDelete